06 August, 2007

Can't wait to see him next year racing in America.


David Millar (Saunier Duval Prodir) took his second win of the 2007 season on Sunday at the British National Road Race Championships by overpowering fellow escapee Daniel Lloyd (DFL-Cyclingnews-Litespeed) on an uphill sprint finish.
"This win is massive for me. It means a huge amount," said Millar. "I have wanted this jersey for the whole of my career. I've had close calls and I have spat the dummy out a couple of times in this race before. I think I have matured with age and managed to control my temper a bit better. I am pretty proud of being British. A week after the Tour I felt bad all day today. I was tired and my legs were bad. Your perception is weird. I was off the front and my legs were hurting but I was going damn fast. I can just keep doing it as well."
Millar and Lloyd had ridden together for the last 80 kilometres in the race held in Abergavenny, Wales. Millar, who recently announced he has signed with trade team Slipstream for 2008, had jumped clear of the peloton in a chase for an early break of 10 riders in the aggressive contest and found a willing workmate in Lloyd.
"I realised when the break had gone that the race was over if I didn't bridge across to it," explained Millar. "I couldn't move without the whole bunch watching me so I put in a big attack and only Daniel [Lloyd] and Russell [Downing] could stay with me and the three of us got across. When we got there I realised that the bunch were racing behind me and I knew what the day was going to be like. So I waited until the bunch got close to us and as soon as guys started coming across, I went again."
Millar, who has signed with the American Professional Continental Team Slipstream squad for 2008, took his first victory of the season at the Paris - Nice prologue.

No comments: